Saturday, April 4, 2009

Letting go of approval~

I am a middle aged woman with children, a husband, a couple of careers. Today I am committed to inspiring people to find their Holiness within. I am a writer and healer and teacher. In the last several years, I've been involved in a daily spiritual practice in which I've brought myself to a circle of Soul Partners and received channeled wisdom and comfort from these guides. It's all been written down and I am in the process of making these meditations public. I am also an international traveler and seen many different walks of life. In many ways, I am a seasoned and mature being on this journey of life and for all if it, I am very grateful. 

With all that I am committed to and all that I am up to in this world, with all that I have seen and done, I find I still seek the approval of others. I wonder if people will like me, what they will think of me, if they will see how special and talented and gifted I am or at least I think I am. It's embarrassing, really, to still want others to validate me so. This wounded ego gets tiring after a while. I get tired of my own self having to deal with such immature thoughts and feelings. 

When I have brought this particular challenge to my prayer and meditation practice, Mary Magdalene and my guides have been kind, but they have reminded me that I can not have it both ways. Here is some of what they say to me:

"There is really no way that you can follow your heart and live out your Divine Purpose while at the same time, seeking the approval of others. You will have to look and see which is more important-do you seek to be liked or do you seek to follow your soul and heart's calling from deep within? Often, there is only room for one thing. Seek not to be honored in the eyes of others. Seek to be honored and whole within your own heart and soul. This is true joy. This is true fulfillment. This is true peace."

There is a unique kind of courage that one has who truly seeks the answers within. To find these answers and follow their guiding means trusting that which is often unseen and known in the moment. Following this inner integrity means giving up the tangible pat on the back and comfort of being liked and approved of by those people we can see and hear and touch. It requires a faithfulness and internal maturity that comes from walking the spiritual path alone and often, experiencing the consequences of loneliness and banishment from the norm, so to speak. 

Mary Magdalene and our Spiritual guides will often call us into obscurity and isolation as a way of bringing the stillness of our souls and hearts out of obscurity and isolation. We are in the physical world but not of the physical world. In the quietness that gives up outside conformity and approval, we find ourselves. Once we have found ourselves, we find our soul partners as well. This is the journey of our authentic self and the path in which we find our Divine Purpose. 

I had a mentor once say, "If it were easy, everyone would be doing it."

Blessings on your journey, 

Sally

 

1 comment:

Jen-Jenny-Jennifer said...

Wowsers, Sally! I felt everything you wrote! I, too, have had mentors say very similar things, reminding me that I live in the material world, but have the choice whether to be 'of' the material world. And I think the same can be said of the spiritual world. I believe everything is spiritual so I'm always in it, but it's whether or not I'm going to choose to be of it, is where the crux of my human condition lies.

How I fight conformity, yet crave acceptance...ugh!

Well said,
Jenny